Friday, April 3, 2009

Empress Zoe

I don't think Istanbul will be anything like I imagine, which is good. One thing I expect ahead of time is to get my picture taken at the hotel named Empress Zoë.

I will be one of several Zoës who do this. There's a certain kinship among people who have 'two dots' over a letter in their name. Nothing says "I rock out ... hard" like an umlaut. Technically, it's a diaeresis. I've been told.

I'm also impressed by Empress Zoë - not the hotel, the person. Rumour has it she was gorgeous and wrinkle-free until her sixties. I'm taking that with a grain of salt, because nobody wants to call an empress ugly.

She had four husbands, and only the last managed to outlive her. I think he understood two unspoken rules: "don't mess with the umlaut-ed" and "never tell your wife the pants don't fit."

- Z.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zoe (sorry, no umlaut/diaeresis on my keyboard). I'm so glad you sent me the link to your blog so that I can follow your travels in Turkey. I have heard nothing but good and can't wait until I am there myself this fall. Cheers and good luck!!! I'll be following along!
    Gillian (www.One-Giant-Step.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Zoë and Darcy:
    Aha! Having given you the diaresis in the first place (sorry, but it sounds suspiciously like diarrhea), I have mastered the art of using Alt-137 to produce it on the keyboard. Looking forward to all of the updates and photos along the way. Are you actually going to stay at the Empress Zoë or just getting your photo taken there? It looks quaintly impressive and very Zoë-ish methinks. This is all happening so fast: Ethan's 18th birthday is officially underway and you're off in a couple of days. I'll try to call and catch you before you go but do have a happy and safe journey! Being there together is what will make it so special: lots of shared memories that even photos can't convey!
    lots and lots of love,
    Mom
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete